About Me

Food is one of my many joys in life. It is a common bond I share among my friends and family. Combining food and travel makes it all the more interesting. I enjoy going out for a good meal with friends and family. The array of various cuisines and our fantastic array of produce really makes Sydney such a great city to live in. Blogging is my hobby and my posts on restaurant meals I have had are paid for and not gratis. Any gratis provided to me will always be stated beforehand.

Sunday 29 July 2012

Yummy Salted Caramel Cookies

My friend CW gave me a little bag of goodies a few weeks ago to try out. They were these delicious Salted Caramel Cookies and I absolutely loved the salty and sweet flavours of the cookies. I couldn't stop eating them.

So when she finally blogged about it, I had to try my hand at baking them. The recipe originates from another blogger The Suz Chef (The Suz Chef's Salted Caramel Cookies) and CW did some minor tweaking to it when she mentioned it in her blog post (WanGirls Salted Caramel Cookies).

My first batch of cookies!

Well, I have tried them out and I am happy to say I think I did alright. I made enough to give out a few bags to some friends and the feedback so far has been very positive! One more recipe to add to my list of baking recipes!! The version I made was based on CW's tweaking but a shout out to The Suz Chef for the wonderful original recipe!!!!

Ingredients
175g butter, melted and cooled
2 cups self raising flour
1/4 teaspoon of salt
3/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or 1 tbsp vanilla essence)
1 egg + 1 egg yolk
Caramel chips (approx 1 cup)
Salt flakes

Method

1. Preheat over to 170C and line 2 to 3 cookie trays with baking paper.
2. In a bowl, beat the melted butter and the two sugars until well combined.
3. Add the vanilla extract (or essence), the egg and egg yolk, beat again for at least another minute.
4. Sift the flour with the salt into the bowl and beat until all is well combined. This may take another 2 minutes.
5. Add the caramel chips and stir with a wooden spoon to combine.
6. Use a teaspoon to drop balls of batter onto the baking trays. Please ensure they are well spaced as the cookies do spread out during the baking. (Note: If you want jumbo sized cookies, use a tablespoon instead).
7. Add more caramel chips onto the top of the batter (they look quite nice once biscuits are cooked). On average, I added about 2 to 3 more chips on top of each batter drop.
8. Then top with finely ground salt flakes on each cookie.
9. Bake 2 trays at a time in the oven for 5 minutes, then swap the trays from the top rack to the bottom rack and vice versa for another 5 minutes.
10. Remove from the oven, leave to sit in the trays for a few minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool down completely.

The new Caramel Bits from Nestle!
I ended up baking 5 trays (medium sized trays) and had about 45 cookies. Hope you have as much fun as I had and that you find them delicious too!



Cheers....

2 comments:

Edwina said...

I can confirm they are absolutely a winner!

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to these next week....hint.