About Me

Food is one of my many joys in life. It is a common bond I share among my friends and family. Combining food and travel makes it all the more interesting. I enjoy going out for a good meal with friends and family. The array of various cuisines and our fantastic array of produce really makes Sydney such a great city to live in. Blogging is my hobby and my posts on restaurant meals I have had are paid for and not gratis. Any gratis provided to me will always be stated beforehand.

Sunday 9 March 2014

The Tuckshop (Glenhaven, Sydney)

What does the term tuckshop connate for you? For me it reminds me of being back in school. We had canteens in our school back in Malaysia but a tuckshop is another word for canteen.

When I first saw a photo posted by chocolatesuze in early February on Instagram, it was a delicious looking cheeseburger. The name of the location intrigued me; it was called 'The Tuckshop' and when I clicked on the map, I realised this new place was in Glenhaven. The name brought back memories of being in a school canteen and it definitely caught my eye.

So I started googling a little more about it and found out it just opened on Jan 31 by the same dudes who have the successful The Baron in Castle Hill. And Nathan Hindmarsh of the Paramatta Eels is also a partner in this new joint.

That's it! I had to check it out. I am a fan of The Baron and chocolatesuze photos and blog post spurred me on even more.

It was a wet Saturday morning when I turned up with a couple of strapping young lads (my friends's teenage sons). I had a feeling they would enjoy the food here!

The tiny place was filled with people. There were 3 tables just outside the shop and that was filled. There was a larger communal table inside and it was filled too. The few stools set against the wall was full too (3 of which were filled by my group). There were tables and benches outside but as it was a wet day, they sat there empty. I would have loved one of those.

We eventually found some seats at the communal table after some people left after their meal. Talk about perfect timing!

We pored over the menu and decided on the following:

Tuckshop avo on toast - smashed avocado, house labneh, fresh tomato, and dukkah on Sonoma soy and linseed bread. Loved how exotic it tasted, a lot more interesting than the typical avo on toast. The labneh and dukkah made it a completely different dish.

The double cheesy - double beef patty, pickles, cheese, onions, mustard, and ketchup. What is there to say? Seriously, seriously good! I loved every bit of the juicy beef patty. The brioche was superbly glazed, talk about glossy! The whole burger experience just made it one of the BEST burgers I have had to date.

The lot - beef patty, bacon, egg, cheese, beetroot relish, tomato and lettuce with smokey house BBQ sauce. The young lads each had one of this. Haha! It was very large in size and I could see they were struggling with the sheer size of the burger  but they thoroughly enjoyed it! AF kept saying it was so good and at the end of the meal claimed it as the best burger he had ever had. Looks like I am not the only fan. :)

I also chose to drink the 'Not so smooth green smoothie'. It consisted of kale, spinach, berries, banana, mint and coconut water. My first sip of it reminded me of green apples, I actually did enjoy it even though I am not a fan of kale.

And better not forget the deliciously spiced fries that came with the burgers!

I liked the decor, I liked the very friendly staff, I liked the quirky menu and I loved the food. It is a place that was designed to be family friendly, see the little tucker menu.

Other dishes I want to try when I next return? Hmmm... Bacon and egg roll, and slow roasted pork roll. As I write this, I am getting hungry just thinking about these 2 dishes.

Oh! And I absolutely love the pun in their sign re Glenhaven. :)


The Tuckshop on Urbanspoon
The Tuckshop
Shop 1, 78 Glenhaven Road
Glenhaven
NSW 2156
Facebook: The tuckshop

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

8 comments:

Anthony said...

Thanks again for taking us Cindy, we would never have known the place existed otherwise! Lucky it WAS raining so we could avoid the famous queue! I forgot how good those burgers looked and now I'm desperate for another one! Definitely the best burger I've ever had; I can't wait to go again!

Cindy said...

Hi Anthony, thank you so much for posting your comment. It was a great lunch and I am glad you enjoyed it! :)

chocolatesuze said...

ohmygosh it's 2am and i am DYING for a double cheeseburger now!!! so glad we have another awesome cafe in the hood!

Cindy said...

Reply to chocolatesuze: hehe! Same here! :)

Anonymous said...

what a cute name for a cafe! Fitout looks great, too.

Cindy said...

Hello thehungrymum! Thanks for dropping by..it is a rather cute joint! :)

Ramen Raff said...

Oh man! I smashed a double cheesy yesterday and I want another hit lol the best cheeseburger I've had to date too. Nice review C!

Cindy said...

Hi Raff! Thanks for visiting! I got hungry looking at your IG pic yesterday! I agree, the cheeseburger is one of the best in town! I hope more people will come to Glenhaven and check them out! Thanks for your nice comment! :)