About Me

Food is one of my many joys in life. It is a common bond I share among my friends and family. Combining food and travel makes it all the more interesting. I enjoy going out for a good meal with friends and family. The array of various cuisines and our fantastic array of produce really makes Sydney such a great city to live in. Blogging is my hobby and my posts on restaurant meals I have had are paid for and not gratis. Any gratis provided to me will always be stated beforehand.

Sunday 3 August 2014

Queenies (Surry hills, Sydney)

After reviewing my recent posts, I have just realised that I have been hanging out quite a bit at Surry Hills lately! I need to break this trend or before I know it, I might just end up living in this trendy end of town! :) Wouldn't that be a hoot?!

A recent mid week catch up with a friend ended up with us having some Jamaican food at Queenies. It is located above The Forresters and I almost missed the corner stairs to get up to Queenies.

As I was walking up the stairs and taking in the decor, I had a feeling of déjà vu. The position of the restaurant and decor reminded me very strangely of The House of Crabs! For the life of me, I know not why!?!

Once again, the concept is shared plates and we decided to try out the following:

Bammies filled with Prawn, mango and ginger; and pulled pork and pineapple. Firstly a little internet research has revealed to me that bammies are West Indian flat pancakes made from cassava flour. Of the two, we definitely preferred the prawn and mango bammy. Such a classic and tropical flavours.

We found the pulled pork a trifle flat in flavour. I know what to order next time. :)

Coconut soft shell crab with Hotstepper sauce. Yum! Nicely battered soft shell crab with an interesting sauce. We spiced it up by trying the different condiments sitting temptingly in the centre of the table.

There was the Walkerswood Lars Lik Jerk sauce, Pickapeppa gingery mango sauce and Jonkanoo pepper sauce. All interesting and enhanced with different flavours. Warning: the jerk sauce had a kick!

BBQ jerk chicken with jungle slaw - this was quite a large serving and with only the two of us, we struggled to finish the lot. But the chicken had a nice smoky flavour coated with a sticky and sweet sauce. AJ mentioned in passing he expected some spice to the jerk chicken, having visited Jamaica a few years ago. But we did enjoy the chicken, irrespective!

For a mid week night, I was surprised the restaurant was quite full. But then again, this is Surry Hills so why am I surprised?

No desserts tonight but we left feeling full. After having a nice evening of catch up I am satisfied having knocked off another restaurant off my list! Thank goodness I have friends like AJ to help me tick the boxes off! :)

Queenies on Urbanspoon
Queenies
Level 1, The Forresters
Cnr of Foveaux and Riley Street
Surry Hills
NSW 2010
Website: www.queenies.com.au/

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

8 comments:

Helen (Grab Your Fork) said...

I find that a lot of the Drink n Dine joints have a similar vibe to them. And experimenting with the Pickapeppa sauces here is always fun.

Cindy said...

Hi Helen, thank you for being so supportive of my blog. I do enjoy reading your comments! Those Pickapeppa sauces were definitely fun to try out!

Felicia @ Next Stop: Food said...

I would love to live in Surry Hills :) might go broke eating out all the time though lol. I love their prawn and mango bammies hehe

Cindy said...

Hello Felicia, thanks for visiting! :) Hehe, I agree with you. If I did live in Surry Hills, there wouldn't be much spare change as I would be eating out a LOT! :)

Annie said...

really loved the bammies at Queenies! :D

Cindy said...

Hello Annie, lovely to hear from you! The bammies remind me of a Jamaican version of soft tacos! I did like them! :)

Unknown said...

Bammies filled with Prawn, mango and ginger; and pulled pork and pineapple seems to be great and delish in taste... I want to try it or cook it after my travel.

Cindy said...

Hi Lucas, thanks for dropping by!