About Me

Food is one of my many joys in life. It is a common bond I share among my friends and family. Combining food and travel makes it all the more interesting. I enjoy going out for a good meal with friends and family. The array of various cuisines and our fantastic array of produce really makes Sydney such a great city to live in. Blogging is my hobby and my posts on restaurant meals I have had are paid for and not gratis. Any gratis provided to me will always be stated beforehand.

Sunday 26 October 2014

Coogee Pavilion (Coogee, Sydney)

Another food venture by the Merivale Group and this time it is at Coogee. It has been a few months since Coogee Pavilion opened and it has been on my list. I did wonder when I could take the opportunity to frequent Coogee as it is literally the opposite side of the city from where I live.

Lo and behold a friend suggested we ladies meet up at Coogee Pavilion as she had been there and really enjoyed the vibe and the food. So here we are on a warm and sunny Sunday afternoon enjoying the glorious weather and taking in the atmosphere of this happening place.

Fortunately we were allowed to book a table because it was packed as sardines and there were so many walk ins who had to wait for a table.

It is located at the most perfect spot right next to the promenade facing Coogee beach. There is a kiosk for take aways and in the main building there are sections for grilled food, juices, pizzas, Will and Co coffee and seafood (fresh/raw or cooked).


I could not believe how large the space was. More on what I saw later in this post.

We decided on the following:

Mini lobster roll with lemon mayo, celery and chives. I had to order this as I was curious to check it out. I liked the mini size, enough to get a good taste but not feel too full to have other dishes. There were nice flavours of tang and crunchy crispy chips. Yes, there were potato chips in the mix. Interesting combinations which I enjoyed.

A couple of us ordered the Coogee Diner Burger with American cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle with a burger sauce. Served with chips of course! Yep! It was seriously good! I could not get over the pillow soft burger buns, soooo good! Oh dear, I am getting hungry just describing the dish!

MA had the Margherita pizza. We weren't sure if she could finish it all by herself but she did. All because the pizza base was paper thin, super thin! Yummy was all she said to me! :)

And a bowl of fries with aioli went down well too.

I also had a cold pressed juice called Love Patch. It was apple, strawberry and carrot juice. Nice combination and not overly sweet.

I came in mind to order a specific dessert, but sob! They didn't have it that day. It was the Salted caramel custard pot. Looks like I have to try it the next time.

So we decided on:

Warm chocolate cake, creme fraiche sorbet and honeycomb. The ladies commented on the richness of the chocolate but it went down well I think as both plates were cleaned up.

Rhubarb sundae, vanilla sponge, rhubarb swirl ice cream, granola and meringue. Yum, yum, yum! In my opinion, it was an Australian version of the Eton mess. All loaded into a tin cup (so cute) and amazing textures of the granola and meringue with the sponge and sundae made the dish so much more interesting. Happy times! :)

Now on to what makes this place so family friendly. At the rear of the ground floor, there is a little barber shop (yes, you read it right!), a giant magnetic scrabble board you have climb to fill the letters, a reading corner with heaps of comfy sofa and ping pong tables. I love it!




Once again Justin Hemmes has hit the Midas touch. This place is brimming with fun, good food, good service, great vibe and a great location!



Coogee Pavilion on Urbanspoon
Coogee Pavilion
169 Dolphin Street
Coogee
NSW 2034
Website: merivale.com.au/coogeepavilion

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

8 comments:

Helen (Grab Your Fork) said...

The margherita pizza looks awesome. And love the giant vertical Scrabble board!

chocolatesuze said...

mmm i want that lobster roll!!

Cindy said...

Hi Helen, I wouldn't mind having a go at that Scrabble board!

Cindy said...

Hi Chocolatesuze, lol! It was a cute little roll! :)

ChopinandMysaucepan said...

Dear Cindy,

The margherita pizza looks Neopolitan style but with thin crust? I'm definitely checking out this place in summer.

Cindy said...

Hello ChopinandMysaucepan, so nice to hear from you! I look forward to your review! 😄

Leona : sprinklemyday said...

I havent been to coogee in so long considering i live one suburb away :| I want that lobster roll! It looks pretty big too in comparison to the tiny ones at Devon. nom nom

Cindy said...

Hi Leona, I think my picture may imply the lobster roll is bigger than actual. :) Hope you get to visit Coogee Pavilion soon, since you live close by!