About Me

Food is one of my many joys in life. It is a common bond I share among my friends and family. Combining food and travel makes it all the more interesting. I enjoy going out for a good meal with friends and family. The array of various cuisines and our fantastic array of produce really makes Sydney such a great city to live in. Blogging is my hobby and my posts on restaurant meals I have had are paid for and not gratis. Any gratis provided to me will always be stated beforehand.

Sunday 28 September 2014

Badmanner Thymes Espresso

Parramatta is certainly upping the cafe scene with new cafes opening up thick and fast. One of which is Badmanner Thymes Espresso. I know not why it has an unusual name but I have made a note to ask the owners one day!

Badmanner recently started opening on Saturdays. Thank goodness or I would not have had a chance to check it out!

It is a rather small cafe space wise but they managed to add a lot of personality to the decor. A sofa resides against one wall, with a guitar to the side and some Art Deco posters add to the feeling of hipster.

On our almost noon visit, we ordered a combination of breakfast and lunch dishes.

Eggs Benedict with Smoked Salmon, Spinach, topped with home made hollandaise sauce on sourdough bread. The dish looked 'eggsmazing'!! Sorry, I had to make that one up! I had a bite to try and there was a nice combination of flavours.

Beef Bulgogi roll with marinated thin slices of oyster blade beef, pickled white radish, Spanish onions, sweet potato chips and spinach with home made wasabi aioli and served in a wholemeal soft roll. My first thought when it was presented to me was how on earth am I going to it this humongous roll?!?!? And it even came with cutlery and there was no way I was going to be polite while downing this delicious roll!

Tender, juicy beef with sweet slices of onions. The offsetting texture of the slight crunch of the sweet potato chips amidst all that beef was good. I personally would have liked the sweet potato chips to be even crunchier.

I also ordered a refreshing freshly squeezed watermelon juice with a touch of ginger. Note there were no ice cubes, all pure juice and so summery. Yum!

For our dessert we decided to check out the Cronuts, which came from Brewtown Newtown. Note to my readers, this is where my cronut snobbiness came into place and I apologise in advance. :)

Chocolate crumbed cronut - my friend who has a penchant for all things chocolate enjoyed it to bits!

Sugar glazed cronut - I tried this one and it was nice but if I had to compare it to the original cronut of Dominique Ansel's, it was found a little wanting. Bear in mind this my first time actually eating a cronut in Australia since my cronut adventure in NYC June last year. I found there were less layers of flaky pastry, less oomph in flavour but if I didn't have anything to compare to I would have liked it in its own right. Sorry Brewtown cronut fans, I know I am a snob! :(

I suppose I should head to Brewtown and try out the real thing before I make any more comment on Aussie cronuts.

One thing I will say, I do like the people at Badmanner Thymes Espresso. They were genuinely friendly and were so interested to listen to my tale of queuing up for 3 hours to get cronuts at Dominique Ansel's. Anyone who is willing to listen to that story deserves a star! :)

Next dish on my list is the Kimchi Burger!

Badmanner Thymes on Urbanspoon
Badmanner Thymes Espresso
2/1 Horwood Place
Parramatta
NSW 2150
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BadmannerParramatta

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

6 comments:

chocolatesuze said...

i heart that bulgogi roll!

Cindy said...

Reply to chocolatesuze: Lol! 😄

ChopinandMysaucepan said...

Dear Cindy,

That eggs benedict looks hefty. I've never had a cronut before and not sure if I want to.

Cindy said...

Hello ChopinandMysaucepan, nice to hear from you! I think Cronuts are an acquired taste. You either love it or find it unexciting. I get why you wouldn't want to try it! :)

Helen (Grab Your Fork) said...

The beef bulgogi roll sounds awesome! And although it was painful to wake up so early, I'm glad chocolatesuze made us try the original DA cronut. lol

Cindy said...

Hi Helen, the DA Cronut experience was something else! No regrets going through it at all! :)