About Me

Food is one of my many joys in life. It is a common bond I share among my friends and family. Combining food and travel makes it all the more interesting. I enjoy going out for a good meal with friends and family. The array of various cuisines and our fantastic array of produce really makes Sydney such a great city to live in. Blogging is my hobby and my posts on restaurant meals I have had are paid for and not gratis. Any gratis provided to me will always be stated beforehand.

Sunday 31 August 2014

Fix St James (Sydney CBD)

A few of us were meeting up for some 'after work dinner' and we selected a venue near our office. Fix St James is literally a short stroll from my office. How convenient!


Upon checking their menu I was somehow attracted to their entrees and decided on 2 entrees instead of a main.

Duck liver parfait, brioche toast and pickled cucumber. Pretty to look at and delicious to boot! The parfait was smooth and creamy and I really liked the addition of the pickled cucumber. It was a nice dimension. I only wish there was a bit more of the brioche toast.

Fried chicken, mash and gravy. I enjoyed the pieces of fried chicken but would have liked more gravy to the mash.

The guys ordered the same main. It was Pork Belly with crackling, wombok and broth. The broth was what brought the dish together and the pork was tender and full of flavour. The crackling was cracking! Both enjoyed their dish. I snuck a bite so I could review the dish properly. :)

I had to have a dessert and the one which caught my eye was Coconut Sago, Liquorice and Blackberry. I decided to try the liquorice as the ingredients together sounded interesting. I am glad I did, because the combinations worked. Even though not a pretty looking dish, it was a surprise package. The combinations worked! The slightly aniseed flavour with the tartness from the blackberry and the salty but sweet coconut cream blended beautifully. It turned out to be delicious!

The guys had a 3 cheese platter of Buche Daffinois, Ossau Iraty and the Roquefort. Having had the Buche and the Ossau previously I was fascinated with the Roquefort. What a beautiful piece of cheese, it was creamy yet packed with flavour. Talk about oomph! Loved how generous they were with  servings of bread, crackers and lavosh.

Dinner was a hit especially with the red wine that was being downed by the guys. I must say I was suitably impressed by their very extensive wine list. And for a mid week night, it was packed. Just shows how popular Fix St James is!

Fix St. James on Urbanspoon
Fix St James
111 Elizabeth Street
Sydney
NSW 2000
Website: www.fixstjames.com.au/


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

6 comments:

chocolatesuze said...

mmm the parfait looks great but i really want that fried chicken and mash!

Cindy said...

Hello chocolatesuze, you can have both! Lol!

Olivia @ mademoiselleinsydney said...

That chicken looks delicious!! I'm quite intrigued by the dessert you had though!?! Coconut sago, licorice and blackberry does sound like an intriguing combination!

Helen (Grab Your Fork) said...

Ooh I haven't had the fried chicken here! I find that you never get enough toast/bread/crackers with parfait, but then that just encourages me to slather it on thick!

Cindy said...

Hello Olivia, I was surprised the dessert combination worked so well! :)

Cindy said...

Hi Helen, I did resort to slathering as much of the parfait on those tiny pieces of toasted brioche! Didn't want to waste any of that yummy parfait! :)