About Me

Food is one of my many joys in life. It is a common bond I share among my friends and family. Combining food and travel makes it all the more interesting. I enjoy going out for a good meal with friends and family. The array of various cuisines and our fantastic array of produce really makes Sydney such a great city to live in. Blogging is my hobby and my posts on restaurant meals I have had are paid for and not gratis. Any gratis provided to me will always be stated beforehand.

Friday 14 December 2012

Jackie M Malaysian Cuisine

I read about a rather good Malaysian restaurant called Jackie M located in Concord. I recall it was in an article in the Sydney Morning Herald, about a year ago. It piqued my interest and has been on my mental 'to dine' list since then.



Well, I finally got there. Firstly I must say how surprised I am at how busy Majors Bay Road is in Concord. Wow, I couldn't believe how many restaurants there were and how many people were out there having a good evening. Sorry if this sounds slightly pompous, but it just shows me how little I know about the suburbs that I don't frequent. How much more is there for me to explore in this diverse city!!!



I was excited to be at Jackie M. The thought of getting a chance to meet the renowned Jackie M herself was quite exciting plus I have heard good things about her cooking and how busy her restaurant gets during the weekend.

During the recent Night Noodle Markets in Sydney, I was one of those queuing up at Jackie M's stall and that night I had the very delicious Nasi Lemak Istimewa. The beef rending was tender and oh so delicious.

This time we ordered Roti Canai with chicken curry, Char Koay Teow, Wan Tan Hor Fun with seafood combination, Otak Otak, Hainanese Chicken Rice, Chai Tao Koay and finished off with a large bowl of Ais Campur (or known as ice kachang) and a bowl of Cendol.

Otak otak
Char Koay Teow
What a feast! We thoroughly enjoyed every dish and if there was room in our tummies, we would have ordered more.

Hainanese chicken rice
Roti canai with curry - yummy!
Next time I will ask for more chilli in the Char Koay Teow but even without the kick of the chilli, the dish was well cooked. Loved the smokiness of the noodles or as the Cantonese say 'wok hei'. Jackie's roti is really good, there was a meatiness to the roti that I find lacking in other venues. This was the same comment from CW.


I am normally not fond of Otak Otak but I actually liked her version. I am surprised by that!
Wan Tan Hor
Chai Tao Koay
But why am I surprised? Jackie, it was a pleasure meeting you, and considering how busy you are, I am chuffed that you took time out from the kitchen to come and say hello for even the few minutes.


We finished off with some refreshing chilled desserts, a lovely way to cool down on a warm summer evening.



Jackie's restaurant is small and unassuming but definitely a popular hang out for good, authentic Malaysian food. I will definitely be back and am planning to bring along a group of friends who have been asking me many times to take them to a good Malaysian place.

I only wish I had taken the opportunity to check it out much earlier than now.

Good one Jackie!!!

Jackie M Malaysian Cuisine on Urbanspoon

Jackie M Malaysian Cuisine
85, Majors Bay Road
Concord
NSW 2137
Tel: +612 9743 0390
Website: jackiem.com.au

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: