About Me

Food is one of my many joys in life. It is a common bond I share among my friends and family. Combining food and travel makes it all the more interesting. I enjoy going out for a good meal with friends and family. The array of various cuisines and our fantastic array of produce really makes Sydney such a great city to live in. Blogging is my hobby and my posts on restaurant meals I have had are paid for and not gratis. Any gratis provided to me will always be stated beforehand.

Saturday 21 September 2013

Bishop Sessa (Surry Hills)

Yes, I am back at Surry Hills but this time it is for dinner at Bishop Sessa. For some reason, none of my foodie friends whom I spoke to recently even knows of Bishop Sessa. I was very surprised by that.


Bishop Sessa is located at where Crown Street Assembly used to be, and where Tabou was. Even though this dinner occurred about a month ago, I still recall the wonderful meal we had there.

There was the option to have the 6 course degustation menu or a la carte. After a bit of to-ing and fro-ing, we collectively decided to have a la carte. Admittedly, the restaurant was very dimly lit and reading the menu was a challenge in itself. Fortunately I had my torchlight app from my phone which was put to good use that night. :)

Entrees
My entree was Scallop ceviche with cucumber, avocado and lemon and ginger sorbet. If I ate the beautifully and thinly sliced scallop, it would have tasted quite flat. But the sorbet was popping with the flavour of ginger and was a great companion for the scallop. Lovely dish! The sheet of rice paper roll served over the dish was so light and tasty.

NF had the Carpaccio of Glacier 51 Patagonian Toothfish, smoked clam, miso, apple and black olive. NF seemed to have enjoyed it and he commented on how smoky the clam was and the combination of flavours were good.

EF had the Heirloom beetroot and radish salad with smoked goat's cheese, pomegranate and walnuts. Even though I didn't taste the dish, I can already imagine the textures and flavours blending very well together. I have always loved having walnuts in a salad.

Mains
I had the Roasted Aylesbury duck breast, duck leg sausage roll, lentils, kale, carrot, orange and onion marmalade. Yummmmm..yummmm..yummm! Duck is one of my favourite meats and this dish did it for me. The duck leg sausage roll was divine. The duck meat in the sausage roll was full of flavour and melt-in-your-mouth tender. The duck breast was lovely but for me it was the sausage roll that caught my eye.

NF had the Roast Melanda Park pork, choucroute (the French name for pickled cabbage), caramelised apple purée and cider sauce. Let's just say he enjoyed every morsel!

EF had the Organic Wagyu prime cut, pomme purée, brocolli, red onion and red wine sauce. The Wagyu was delightfully tender.

We also ordered some duck fat roasted potatoes and Green beans beurre noisette.

Desserts
We found room for dessert. I had the 12 hour baked apple terrine, peanut madeleine, salted caramel ice cream and soft house made nougat. I liked the fact that my dessert wasn't overly sweet or it would have been too sickly sweet for me. It was a delightful dessert!

EF went for the chocolate dessert. It was the Chocolate chip parfait, popcorn ice cream, milk chocolate mousse with marshmallow. According to her, it was delicious!

The service was generally good. But the dimly lit room was way too dark, even for me. The young man who waited on us was so knowledgeable about the food and that was quite impressive. I was however surprised at the fact the restaurant was only half filled for a Saturday night. After all, it is in Surry Hills and every other restaurant I walked past in that area was generally packed.

I hope that over time, the restaurant will become more known because it definitely deserves all the success it can achieve.

And a big thank you to NF and EF for treating me to this wonderful dinner!

Bishop Sessa on Urbanspoon

Bishop Sessa bistro and wine bar
527 Crown Street
Surry Hills
NSW 2010
Website: bishopsessa.com.au


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

Edwina said...

Lovely to remember the dinner through your post and photos Cindy! Beautiful dinner and company!

Cindy said...

Thanks Edwina :)