About Me

Food is one of my many joys in life. It is a common bond I share among my friends and family. Combining food and travel makes it all the more interesting. I enjoy going out for a good meal with friends and family. The array of various cuisines and our fantastic array of produce really makes Sydney such a great city to live in. Blogging is my hobby and my posts on restaurant meals I have had are paid for and not gratis. Any gratis provided to me will always be stated beforehand.

Thursday 7 February 2013

The Grounds of Alexandria

It was a relatively wet Saturday but we were determined to still trek to Alexandria to check out this very 'happening' cafe. It is another one on my hit list and I am glad to say that I have now managed to tick it off my list.


It has been a while since I hung out in Alexandria and I can clearly see what I have missed. The Grounds is located right smack in the middle of wholesalers and distribution centres. And conveniently located close by to the airports (both domestic and international).


When I step into the inner haven, it feels so much like stepping into an English garden, with beds of herbs surrounding the garden and a rather rustic looking covered sitting/dining area for chilling out. There is even an area for kids to play and a chook pen.


I love the atmosphere. It was so relaxing and so as they say 'chilling'!!!!! We then headed to the main cafe and there was a queue to get a table and another queue to order take away. When we got there, it was already 2.00 pm and I was so surprised to see a queue. Apparently there is a queue at whatever time you get there.



We were told it would be a 50 minute wait to get a table in the cafe, so we decided to order take away and sit outside in the garden area. Fortunately, it stopped raining at that point in time and it was just lovely to have our lunch in the gardens.

We ordered the Mozarella Toastie and The Lunch Box. The toast consisted of mozzarella with merlot vinegar, basil and tomato toasted in a freshly baked bread roll.

The lunch box consisted of falafel, hummus, chicken and a lovely summer salad, served with some pita bread.


The standard of the food is very much cafe style, good enough to enjoy and you will want to return to try out other dishes. I was eyeing the Chicken burger and chips but we decided to forgo it this time as they had run out of the burger buns and were serving the chicken with slices of bread as a fresh load of burger buns were still baking in the oven.

I loved how much of the food was grown onsite and baked onsite. They are also famous for their coffee but I found mine had a strange taste not quite to my normal standards. But it could have been an anomaly.

We strolled around and came back for dessert, yet again there was a queue just to order take away. For dessert, we had Strawberry Shortcake and Lemon Tart. I loved my shortcake and AK throughly enjoyed her lemon tart. She even said it was the best lemon tart she ever had (which is saying a lot since  she has a weakness for lemon tarts and has had numerous versions of it over the years!).

So all in all, a very nice afternoon spent in a lovely ambience.

The Grounds of Alexandria on Urbanspoon

The Grounds of Alexandria
Building 7A, No. 2 Huntley Street,
Alexandria
NSW 2015
Tel: +61 2 9699 2225
Website: groundsroasters.com


No comments: