About Me

Food is one of my many joys in life. It is a common bond I share among my friends and family. Combining food and travel makes it all the more interesting. I enjoy going out for a good meal with friends and family. The array of various cuisines and our fantastic array of produce really makes Sydney such a great city to live in. Blogging is my hobby and my posts on restaurant meals I have had are paid for and not gratis. Any gratis provided to me will always be stated beforehand.

Monday 9 June 2014

Yellow (Potts Point, Sydney)

Yellow is located in an iconic and historical building in Potts Point. You can see the character of the building, not only at the exterior but also the interior. And I completely get why this placed is called Yellow! Don't you? :)

The previous Yellow was a lovely cafe run by Lorraine Goldsmark who now runs Lorraine's Patisserie in Palings Lane in the CBD (part of the Establishment group). This new Yellow is a slightly different kettle of fish. It is after all the brainchild of Brent Savage and Nick Hildebrandt (from Bentley and Monopole). As such my expectations were quite high!


We decided to come for brunch on a Saturday and was informed bookings were not necessary. And true enough we managed to get a table as soon we walked in but I did notice it started to get a tad busy around the 1.00 pm mark.

We decided to share our dishes:

Cured Bonito, Buttermilk, Celtuce and Pickled Cashew - a light and fresh dish. There were subtle flavours and left me with a clean palate. The bonito was beautifully cured and had a nice texture.

Poached Eggs with Charred Onion Consommé, Mushroom and Peas - OMG! I am such a sucker for eggs and I fell for this one hook, line and sinker! Perfectly poached eggs with a delightfully light yet wholesomely flavoured consommé. Yum to the power of 10! More please! :)

Toasted Licorice Bread and Fresh Cultured Butter - let me just say up front how much I dislike the taste of licorice and how much I avoid it like a 10 foot pole! But I did want to try this bread and was game for anything really. We loved it! Yes I could taste the licorice in the bread but it worked and didn't put me off at all. The butter with the warm bread was a match made in heaven! Superb combination and one I would go for again and again!

Smoked Brisket Pastrami Sandwich with Cheddar, Tomato and Pickled Cabbage - we ordered this in order to bring back memories of NYC days. It was a nicely toasted sandwich but we felt it didn't have enough pastrami in it. A tad too thin in pastrami layers in my opinion.

Note that they are open every night for dinner and for weekends they are open for brunch too. I have heard good things about their dinner menu and I would certainly want to check their dinner out.

But overall did I enjoy dining at Yellow? Yes! Couldn't you tell? :)

Yellow on Urbanspoon
Yellow
57 Macleay Street
Potts Point
NSW 2011
Website: www.yellowsydney.com.au/

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

8 comments:

chocolatesuze said...

those eggs look amazing, dying to go to yellow!

Cindy said...

Hi Suze, I got hungry looking at the eggs. I could have done with a bowl of it today, hehe!

Helen (Grab Your Fork) said...

Have heard so many good things about Yellow lately. I really want to try that licorice bread!

Cindy said...

Hi Helen, I am glad I tried the licorice bread or I would have missed out on a delicious experience!

Anonymous said...

Would love to try the licorice bread , have heard lots about it!

Cindy said...

Hello delectablydegusting, love the name! You should check it out! :)

Anonymous said...

OMG Licorice Bread?! Now that is unique, I would love to give this a try :D

Cindy said...

Reply to nessyeater: Look forward to your post when you give it a try! :)