About Me

Food is one of my many joys in life. It is a common bond I share among my friends and family. Combining food and travel makes it all the more interesting. I enjoy going out for a good meal with friends and family. The array of various cuisines and our fantastic array of produce really makes Sydney such a great city to live in. Blogging is my hobby and my posts on restaurant meals I have had are paid for and not gratis. Any gratis provided to me will always be stated beforehand.

Sunday 4 December 2011

Fried rice - Malaysian style

There are so many versions of fried rice but as I was preparing dinner for tonight, I thought why not put down in writing my version of fried rice!

As it is a Malaysian style version, there is chilli paste in it; it just gives it a bit of kick. If you are not into the spicy style, feel free to remove the chilli portion of the recipe.



This recipe is based on a serving for 4 people.

1 1/2 cups of boiled rice (cooked overnight and kept in the fridge)
12 medium prawns (shelled and deveined)
5 large eggs (preferably free range)
3 chinese pork sausages (diced)
5 cloves of garlic (chopped finely)
1 medium brown onion (chopped roughly)
Frozen mixed vegetables - carrots, corn and peas (thawed then strained of water)
10 gms of dried prawns (soaked then finely minced)
2 dried scallops (soaked then shredded)
1 tsp of chilli paste
1 tsp of sambal belacan
Salt to taste
White pepper to taste
Light soya sauce to taste
1 tbsp of olive oil

1. When the pan is hot, add in the oil. When the oil is hot, stir in the garlic.
2. Then add in the onions and stir for a minute.
3. Add the dried prawns and scallops. At this point you may find that all the oil has been soaked up by the ingredients, add in 1 tsp of oil if required.
4. Add the Chinese sausages and some white pepper.
5. Then the chilli paste and sambal belacan and stir through thoroughly.
6. Push all the ingredients to one side of the pan and add in the prawns and toss in some salt and briefly cook the prawns and stir through with all the other ingredients.
7. Then toss in the mixed vegetables.
8. Stir through the overnight rice.
9. At this point in time, toss in some light soya sauce, salt and pepper.
10. Once everything is thoroughly cooked, remove to a large bowl.
11. Add a little olive oil to the pan and add in the eggs. Add a little soya sauce and pepper. Wait for a minute and scramble the eggs until almost cooked.
12. Then add the fried rice back to the pan and mix the fried eggs through the rice.
13. The dish is ready for serving. Serve while hot.

If you do decide to try this recipe, I would love to hear from you. I hope you will like my version of this very traditional dish.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

Charmaine said...

That looks so so good. Can you make this and bring for our next gathering?