About Me

Food is one of my many joys in life. It is a common bond I share among my friends and family. Combining food and travel makes it all the more interesting. I enjoy going out for a good meal with friends and family. The array of various cuisines and our fantastic array of produce really makes Sydney such a great city to live in. Blogging is my hobby and my posts on restaurant meals I have had are paid for and not gratis. Any gratis provided to me will always be stated beforehand.

Wednesday 28 December 2011

Xanthi Bar and Restaurant



Xanthi is located on Level 6 of Westfield Sydney. It has been opened for only a few months and has proven to be a hit.



Personally, I haven't had much exposure to Greek food but I did want to try this restaurant out. What a good decision that was!

DD and I decided to order small sharing plates (as recommended by the waiter). The small sharing plates are termed 'Ouzomezedakia'. And we also ordered a dish from the 'Apo tin plastina' range.

I must say we were very happy with all our choices and cannot say enough good things about the service and the wonderful flavours of the various dishes.

So here goes!

Hot Smoked Eggplant Dip - This was freshly smoked eggplant made fresh with coriander, cumin, lemon juice, bechamel and grated kasseri. The dip was served with flat bread. Verdict: Delicious, the smokiness of the eggplant was subtle and the dip had a nice texture (not too smooth and not too coarse).




Vine Dolmathes - This was the traditional Greek vine dolmathes with a spicy rice vegetable filling.  Verdict: I absolutely loved it! I have not had dolmathes before and I did not expect the burst of flavours. The serving was for 2 each. Honestly, I could have had at least 2 more.


Pickled Octopus - A dish of octopus pickled in white vinegar, blended vegetable and extra virgin olive oil with garlic, lemon and oregano. Verdict: The octopus was so tender, the taste was fresh and light. Lovely flavours!


BBQ Smoked Lamb Cutlets - This was BBQ smoked and cured spiced cutlets. Verdict: I could have had a couple more cutlets! DD and I could not help ourselves, we just had to order the cutlets. It was perfectly cooked.


Pork Belly Baklava - Shredded pork belly with a date and pistachio filling and crackling served with a date and mastic sauce. Verdict: The dish of the night. Beautiful flavours and texture with the crackling, pastry and gorgeous sauce. Loved it!


As we were going through our dishes, we were even thinking that we had not ordered enough as the serving size was not overly large. I must say we were rather full towards the end of the evening. The waiter was right!

We decided to have dessert but on the light side. So we ordered the Olive Oil Ice Cream. This was ice cream infused with Extra Virgin olive oil with pistachio and dried figs. Verdict: Nice and creamy and a nice change with the olive oil infused combination.


Recommendation: Please do try this restaurant out. You won't regret it.

Xanthi Restaurant & Bar on Urbanspoon

Xanthi Bar & Restaurant
Level 6 Dining Precinct
Westfield Sydney
Corner of Pitt Street Mall & Market Street
Sydney City
Website: http://www.xanthi.com.au/

2 comments:

Charmaine said...

My fav dish was the pork belly baklava

Kin Yuen said...

Hot smoked eggplant dip, give me that any party, anytime!