About Me

Food is one of my many joys in life. It is a common bond I share among my friends and family. Combining food and travel makes it all the more interesting. I enjoy going out for a good meal with friends and family. The array of various cuisines and our fantastic array of produce really makes Sydney such a great city to live in. Blogging is my hobby and my posts on restaurant meals I have had are paid for and not gratis. Any gratis provided to me will always be stated beforehand.

Saturday 2 November 2013

Mad Hatter's Afternoon Tea at the Lobby Lounge, Westin Hotel (Sydney CBD)

The Good Food Month is in full force every October in Sydney. This year was no exception. If I am not wrong, there are more events and venues every year. And having high tea at one of the selected list of venues is part of the Good Food Month program.

We started this tradition last year, having high tea at The Victoria Tea Room in Westfield Sydney. And this year CW and I decided to try out the very quirky but eye catching Mad Hatter's afternoon tea at The Westin.


And coincidentally October is also the month of CW's birthday and this is the second year in a row we are celebrating her birthday by having high tea. Maybe we are starting a tradition, who knows!?! :)


So what comes with the Mad Hatter's Afternoon Tea Party?

For the savouries, we had Roasted beef and fresh asparagus roulade on mini laugen.

Cherry bocconcini, tomato on a fresh garden salad boat

Alaskan crabmeat salad on double bread

The highlight was the Alaskan crabmeat. Too bad there was only one serving of this dish per person. I could definitely have happily eaten more of it. The bread was soft, fresh and the crab meat had a deliciously creamy flavour. I am not sure about having a salad boat for high tea, but that's just my opinion.

The scones were not served together with the rest of the dishes but we were told to request for them when we were ready. We decided to have them before the sweets and we both felt that was a good decision.

The scones were served with homemade strawberry jam, raspberry chocolate jam and clotted cream. CW didn't like this version of the clotted cream as it was not as lightly whipped as she had anticipated but I didn't mind it too much. We were not keen on the raspberry chocolate jam but we did like the raspberry jam.

The sweets were Dark chocolate mud cake encased in chocolate icing

Purple macaron with a blueberry cream filling

Layers of raspberry buttercream, chocolate ganache and raspberry jelly.

My favourite was the raspberry buttercream which was cut into a heart shape. Pretty and lightly delicious.

My tea of choice was the Whole Rosebuds. Deliciously floral and fruity and a perfect accompaniment while I was having the scones and sweets.

And for champers, we had the Brown Brothers Sparkling Moscato. Absolutely cannot go wrong with anything from Brown Brothers!

Personally, we both felt that the high tea we had at The Victoria Tea Room was a whole lot better, both in flavour and variety. But we did enjoy ourselves. It is always fun having high tea and chilling out with sparkling wine and sipping wonderful tea while catching up!

P/S - I still believe my high tea at The Plaza Hotel (Afternoon Tea at The Plaza) was superb and have yet to find anything high tea wise to surpass that experience yet!


The Lobby Bar & Lounge on Urbanspoon
The Westin Sydney
The Bar, Lounge and Room
1 Martin Place
Sydney
NSW 2000
Website: www.starwoodhotels.com/westin/property/dining/attraction_detail.html?propertyID=1183&attractionId=202523

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

Helen (Grab Your Fork) said...

Such an impressive effort on the hat and watch! I presume the scones were piping hot when they were delivered?

Cindy said...

Hi Helen, upon reflection the scones were not piping hot! If anything I can only describe them as served warm. Yes, kudos to the dessert chefs, the icing on the hat and watch were quite good!