About Me

Food is one of my many joys in life. It is a common bond I share among my friends and family. Combining food and travel makes it all the more interesting. I enjoy going out for a good meal with friends and family. The array of various cuisines and our fantastic array of produce really makes Sydney such a great city to live in. Blogging is my hobby and my posts on restaurant meals I have had are paid for and not gratis. Any gratis provided to me will always be stated beforehand.

Saturday 7 March 2015

Supernormal (Melbourne)

It has been a while since I had been down south to Melbourne and a recent business trip led to an opportunity to dine here with my team.

How could I pass an opportunity to try out the food at Supernormal?! As there were five of us, we tried various dishes and we were not disappointed.

To start with we were served 2 plates of Soy roasted pumpkin seeds. These were seriously so addictive. I couldn't stop popping some in mouth every now and then.

White cut chicken, cold noodles, peanuts, sesame and chilli oil. There was a slight kick in the chilli oil which lifted up this tender chicken noodle salad.

Prawn and chicken dumplings, chilli and vinegar sauce. Once again, the sauce did it for me. It made an otherwise regular dumplings come alive with the chilli and vinegar sauce.

Pork bao, with tamarind sauce. One of us decided to try something different. It looked scrumptious and got the thumbs up!

New England Lobster Roll. Yes! What more is there to say? Loved it! Warm and toasty roll which had a touch of sweetness. Offset beautifully against the clean tasting lobster meat which was succulent and sweet. Superb!

Pan Fried Pot Sticker Dumplings. Very interesting presenting the bottom of the dumplings as top up. There was a nice spider web crust at the bottom. It was served with some black vinegar.

Duck Bao - we chose the duck leg which was nicely crusted. It was twice cooked and served with vinegar and plum sauce. Also served was some fresh steamed buns and thick slices of fresh cucumber. We cut the duck leg down to bite size pieces and made our own bao. It was so good, the crunchy cucumber added a perfect crunch to the duck meat and the sweet plum sauce! More please! :)



Slow cooked Szechuan lamb to share with spring onion pancake, and coriander paste. Somehow in my opinion this dish brought out exotic Indian flavours. The lamb was so tender and went well with the spring onion pancake.



We found room for dessert. Everyone else ordered the Peanut Butter Parfait, Salted Caramel, and Soft Chocolate. This dessert was so deliciously decadent.

I went against the norm and chose the Soft Serve of Plum and Green Tea ice cream. It was presented in a sundae glass beautifully swirled and at the bottom of the glass was raspberry compote. The dessert was sprinkled with dehydrated raspberries which was bursting with flavour. Yes, it was delicious!!

And to top it off, we realised towards the end of our meal that Heston Blumenthal was having lunch too! He sat at a corner table and looked like he wanted some privacy so we kept our distance but I managed to take a picture surreptitiously. :)

Overall, we had a great meal. The food was good, the service was good and I loved the open kitchen and the wide open space of the restaurant.

Would I return? Absolutely!

Supernormal on Urbanspoon
Supernormal
180 Flinders Lane
Melbourne
VIC 3000
Website: www.supernormal.net.au/


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

Helen (Grab Your Fork) said...

Whoah that's some pretty stellar company for your meal! Love the lobster roll here but will have to return for the soft serve!

Cindy said...

Hi Helen, hehe! I must admit, we were slightly star struck! Thanks for your continued support of my blog. Love receiving your comments! :)