About Me

Food is one of my many joys in life. It is a common bond I share among my friends and family. Combining food and travel makes it all the more interesting. I enjoy going out for a good meal with friends and family. The array of various cuisines and our fantastic array of produce really makes Sydney such a great city to live in. Blogging is my hobby and my posts on restaurant meals I have had are paid for and not gratis. Any gratis provided to me will always be stated beforehand.

Tuesday 25 June 2013

Katz's Delicatessen (New York City)

So what is the first thing I did after I arrived in New York and checked into the hotel? Well of course, I checked out Katz's Deli. I have heard so much about their Reuben Sandwich and of late their Pastrami Sandwich.


I met up with one of the ladies from the group I am about to join for this New York stint and we headed off for this uniquely American food adventure. She had not heard of Katz's Deli before so I was delighted to be able to share this experience with her.

When we walked in there was a man handing out red ticket stubs to the walk ins. I explained to him we were visitors and new to this and asked him to please explain to us the ticketing system. Thank goodness he was gracious enough to do so. He must be asked that question thousands of times.

So the way it works is we find a table. With the ticket in hand, we queue at the counter we want to order from. There is a section for sandwiches, a section for sides and drinks for example. When your order is served, you present the ticket to the attendee and he will mark the cost on the ticket. You then move on to the next section which you want to place another order and the process continues. As these men and women are serving you, you would typically hand the tip at the section you ordered from.

Note that after you place your order, say at the sandwich section, the man slicing up the pastrami passes you a few slivers of the meat before he starts working on the sandwich. So you get a taste before the actual serving. Cool!

Then with your full tray, you dine at your table. When you are ready to leave, hand your ticket to the cashier who is located just before the exit door. You pay according to what is marked. No extra tips are necessary at that point in time. Easy!

So my travel friend and I decided to go for the Pastrami on Rye Sandwich and with it comes a plate of pickled cucumbers. I also had a Cream Soda with my meal. Its been so long since I had a cream soda and it brings back childhood memories.



When we looked at the pastrami it certainly didn't look delicious. It actually looked dry but we were so wrong. It was delicious and the sandwich size was so large I struggled to bite into the sandwich.

I only had one after effect. About an hour after the meal I felt very thirsty and I had to find something cool to quench it. So as we were walking downtown to the hotel, we found a little gelato place and I bought a lime frozen yoghurt. That definitely helped quenched the sudden thirst I had. I think it was the pastrami that made me feel so thirsty but I have no regrets having the pastrami at all.

It was also fascinating to see all the photos framed on the walls. There are some really famous celebrities who have frequented Katz's and of course there was the very famous When Harry Met Sally table and sign. Katz's Deli is a New York institution and I can certainly understand why!!


Katz's Deli on Urbanspoon

Katz's Delicatessen
205 E Houston Street
New York
NY
Website: katzsdelicatessen.com

1 comment:

Edwina said...

Yum Cinds! And you may be interested to know that the also very famous Murray Farm Cracker Carnival uses the same ticketing system for purchasing food! Clearly world class..