About Me

Food is one of my many joys in life. It is a common bond I share among my friends and family. Combining food and travel makes it all the more interesting. I enjoy going out for a good meal with friends and family. The array of various cuisines and our fantastic array of produce really makes Sydney such a great city to live in. Blogging is my hobby and my posts on restaurant meals I have had are paid for and not gratis. Any gratis provided to me will always be stated beforehand.

Thursday 1 January 2015

Koi Restaurant (SoHo, New York City)

Koi SoHo is located on the ground floor of the Trump SoHo hotel. I first saw it when I was staying at the Trump SoHo last summer but did not get a chance to check it out then.

It was not a planned dinner and we ended up here as a result of my tummy not feeling too well earlier in the day and I did not feel like venturing out too much. So JN and I met up and had a 'walk in' table at Koi.

After having a drink at the bar, we sat down and at the recommendation of the very friendly Gina, we chose the following as shared plates. Apologies in advance for the quality of the photos, some were rather grainy due to the low lights at the restaurant!

Lobster Tacos with mango salsa and yuzu guacamole. This was a delightful dish with the crunchy tacos offsetting the small bites of lobster with hints of the mango and guacamole in the taste buds.

Sunfire Roll - this is one of Koi's signature rolls. It was filled with lobster, snow crab, cucumber and cilantro roll topped with mango, avocado and ichimi. Beautifully plated and smack bang full of flavour. Delish!

Koi Crispy Rice topped with spicy tuna and yellowtail tartare. Very interesting texture of the crunchy and slightly chewy crispy rice as the base. The tuna and yellowtail tasted very fresh.

Creamy Rock Shrimp Tempura - a rather creamy based plate of what I would call popcorn shrimps. It was delicious but quite rich in flavour and having this filled us up quite quickly.

Sashimi of 5 exquisite slices of the Yellowtail. Greedy me had to have some sashimi and this was a late addition to the order after I had tasted the quality of the seafood. The yellowtail was beautifully sliced and was practically melting in my mouth. The quality of the food is seriously up there!

And yes, I did find room for dessert. JN by now had called it quits and even gave the sashimi a miss. I ordered the Green Tea-Ramisu. It was tiramisu with a Japanese twist. There was matcha powder, mascarpone and amaretto. And served with some blueberries and strawberries. Wow! What a great dessert, the flavours were so true to the Italian dessert yet with a touch of the matcha tea. JN was intrigued and took a spoonful for taste. Let's just say she came back for more! :)

What a great restaurant! Not only was the food of the highest quality and taste but the service was excellent! I would definitely come back to try other dishes.

Koi SoHo on Urbanspoon
Koi SoHo
at Trump SoHO NYC
246 Spring Street
New York
NY 10013
Website: www.koirestaurant.com/new_york-soho/galleries/1/

3 comments:

Helen (Grab Your Fork) said...

Sounds so tasty. I can never resist ordering sashimi either. The yellowtail looks beautifully fresh!

Cindy said...

Hi Helen, thanks for your comment! I too love a good sashimi. I can't believe I used to fear raw fish when I was a teenager! :)

Giovanni Carlo said...

koi fish food homemade Koi are primarily bottom feeding fish. Blended paste foods that sink to the bottom of the pond can be made at home easily. Combine 12 canned sardines, two pounds of shrimp, two cups of cooked rice, six garlic cloves and a cup of orange juice in a blender and pulse to chop into small pieces.