About Me

Food is one of my many joys in life. It is a common bond I share among my friends and family. Combining food and travel makes it all the more interesting. I enjoy going out for a good meal with friends and family. The array of various cuisines and our fantastic array of produce really makes Sydney such a great city to live in. Blogging is my hobby and my posts on restaurant meals I have had are paid for and not gratis. Any gratis provided to me will always be stated beforehand.

Saturday 8 October 2011

Old Town Kopitiam Mamak

It was my last day in Melbourne before I was due to fly back to Sydney in the afternoon. I felt I was just eating all the time while I have been in the city. I guess I was trying to take in what I could in the limited number of days that I had.



I skipped breakfast and by the time noon arrived, I was quite hungry. I had a craving for honest to goodness Malaysian food so I headed for Old Town Kopitiam at QV Central. There are 2 Old Town Kopitiam outlets in Melbourne. One is located on Little Bourke Street in the heart of Chinatown and the other is in QV Central. The QV Central outlet is more focused on the Mamak type of food in addition to the standard Malaysian hawker style food. Imagine seeing Pan Mee on the menu. You just don't see such type of dishes listed in any Malaysian restaurants in Australia. But Old Town Kopitiam came along and came up with some surprising dishes that conjures up memories of my hometown food.

For those of you who do not know what kopitiam means, it literally translates to coffee shop in the Hokkien dialect. These breakfast and coffee shops can be found almost everywhere in Malaysia and Singapore.

I decided to have the Nasi Kandar with Briyani rice, sambal telur (egg sambal) and ayam goreng (fried chicken). I did not have dessert but ordered Cincau (grass jelly) as my beverage.


Briyani rice, fried chicken and egg sambal

Cincau drink

My lunch was so satisfying and delicious. I sure wish there was a Old Town Kopitiam outlet in Sydney. I spoke to one of the owners and he indicated that there are plans to expand to Sydney in 2012. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the plans come to fruition.

Old Town Kopitiam Mamak
Level 2, Shop 11, QV Square
QV Building
Melbourne
VIC 3000
Australia
Website: http://www.oldtownkopitiam.com.au/

1 comment:

Charmaine said...

I say...making me hungry. I remembered the last time we visited this place we had pan mee and nasi kandar too. Love sambal telur.