About Me

Food is one of my many joys in life. It is a common bond I share among my friends and family. Combining food and travel makes it all the more interesting. I enjoy going out for a good meal with friends and family. The array of various cuisines and our fantastic array of produce really makes Sydney such a great city to live in. Blogging is my hobby and my posts on restaurant meals I have had are paid for and not gratis. Any gratis provided to me will always be stated beforehand.

Saturday 17 March 2012

Penang Assam Laksa

Penang Assam Laksa - an iconic dish from the island of Penang, Malaysia. It is not easy to find Malaysian restaurants in Sydney serving this dish. This is mainly because of the difficulty in sourcing the required authentic ingredients. Some of the core ingredients are bunga kantan (torch ginger), tamarind peels, laksa leaves and definitely the mackerel fish.


Penang Assam Laksa

My friend CW invited me and a group of other friends over to her place for lunch. The dish of the day being Penang Assam Laksa. It is not often I get to savour an authentic Assam Laksa so I could not refuse such a tempting invite.

CW's Mum was the cook of the day and her dish was just true to the flavours. There was the sour flavour from the tamarind, the savoury from the soup and spices and the fresh pineapple adding the sweetness that make up the marvelous Assam Laksa.


Garnishings

Fresh pineapple

Yummy, yummy, yummy! All I can say is I had two servings and loved every mouthful. I can't wait for the next invite!

Aunty also served another iconic dish i.e. Fried Kway Teow. I had a mouthful (too full from my 2 bowls of Assam Laksa). As usual Aunty cooked another delicious dish. There were lots of requests for take away.


Fried Kway Teow

I don't know how we did it but we found some space for dessert. There was baklava, espresso chocolate cake courtesy of CW and another friend brought some Muah Chee. I don't recall having this dish when I lived in Malaysia but all the other ladies kindly reminded me that this dish was easily available everywhere and most especially at the night markets. It is made of glutinous rice flour and topped with peanuts and sugar. I quite liked the chewy texture. Interesting!

The Espresso Chocolate cake was lovely and moist. Good job CW!

Espresso chocolate cake

Muah chee


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: