About Me

Food is one of my many joys in life. It is a common bond I share among my friends and family. Combining food and travel makes it all the more interesting. I enjoy going out for a good meal with friends and family. The array of various cuisines and our fantastic array of produce really makes Sydney such a great city to live in. Blogging is my hobby and my posts on restaurant meals I have had are paid for and not gratis. Any gratis provided to me will always be stated beforehand.

Saturday 24 November 2012

Baroque Bistro

Just as I feel that I have recovered from my oh so marvellous weekend in Melbourne, I am off to have lunch with my friend AK at the Baroque Bistro at The Rocks.


I haven't been here before so I was looking forward to dining here. Baroque Bistro is very well known for it's macarons, especially since macarons became a hot trend a couple of years ago. It is a lovely French bistro and being located in the historic Rocks is a plus!!

Imagine walking into a restaurant and the first thing you see is the open kitchen and rows and rows of macarons and gorgeous looking desserts! Well, that was what greeted me when I walked through the doors! It set a good feeling which carried through the course of our meal.





I really liked the decor, there is a massive wall to wall retro mirror at the far end of the bistro and copper pots hanging high up at one of the archways. I could see the Harbour Bridge if I peeked out the window nearest to where I was sitting. Lovely!



We ended up having a 3 course meal and for entree, I chose the rabbit and chicken terrine, spring vegetables, verjuice and fennel pollen. AK chose the Boudin of scallops, mussels, leeks, asparagus and mussel emulsion.

Boudin of scallops, mussels and mussel emulsion
Rabbit and chicken terrine

Verdict - I thoroughly enjoyed the terrine. I did not expect it to be so full of flavour but it was delicious. AK and I decided to have a bit of each other's dishes, so we swapped half way through and I had a good taste of the boudin of scallops. It was quite nice but I think I still preferred the terrine.

For mains, I chose the Seared spatchcock, walnuts, caramelised endive, and game jus. AK chose the Pork belly, pork sirloin, apple fondant, cabbage and smoked speck served with calvados jus.

Pork belly, pork sirloin with calvados jus
Seared spatchcock, caramelised endive with game jus
Verdict - both dishes were delicious! I deliberately chose the spatchcock as I had not tried it before. It was tender and the jus was delicious!

Desserts - my choice was Voltaire which was cold set vanilla cheesecake wrapped in white chocolate and AK couldn't help herself and had the Zulu which was Varlhona chocolate mousse, salted caramel, dark ganache with a mini chocolate macaron.

Zulu
Voltaire
Verdict - let's just say that we enjoyed our dishes so much that we didn't even want to swap half way through!!!! Funnily enough there was a lovely couple sitting next to us who saw us having our desserts. They must have liked the visual beauty of our desserts because they ordered the exact same things. As we were leaving, I did ask them whether they enjoyed the desserts and they thoroughly loved them.

All in all, another lovely lunch with a lovely friend. Thank you AK for suggesting we dine at Baroque. What a great idea!!!!

Baroque | Bistro Bar Patisserie on Urbanspoon

Baroque Bistro
88 George Street (corner of Hickson Road)
The Rocks
Sydney
NSW 2000
Website: baroquebistro.com.au/

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

AK said...

Terrific review! Summed it up perfectly. Mmmmm that dessert was to die for! Always a pleasure having food adventures with you :)