About Me

Food is one of my many joys in life. It is a common bond I share among my friends and family. Combining food and travel makes it all the more interesting. I enjoy going out for a good meal with friends and family. The array of various cuisines and our fantastic array of produce really makes Sydney such a great city to live in. Blogging is my hobby and my posts on restaurant meals I have had are paid for and not gratis. Any gratis provided to me will always be stated beforehand.

Thursday 27 June 2013

Afternoon Tea at The Plaza Hotel (New York City)

I think I have mentioned many times in my previous posts of a 'to do' list or some would say a 'bucket list'. Well, having afternoon tea at The Plaza Hotel is definitely on my list. Having been in New York twice before, one would think I would have ticked this one off the list. Well, it hasn't happened yet so I was determined to see this one through on this trip.

Sami had sent an email to the group prior to the tour to state that an optional activity available is to have an afternoon tea at the Plaza Hotel and the suggested day would be the first day of the tour. She was kind enough to put this out to the group at my behest. I would still have attended the high tea irrespective of the number of people joining me but I thought it would be nice if I could share this experience with some of the ladies from the group.

In the end 6 other ladies decided to join me and we were all so excited about this as the Plaza Hotel is not only iconic but also one of the most prestigious hotels in New York.


I did so love the interior of the hotel. I felt there was a grand and majestic feeling walking through the lobby and the halls.

6 of us chose the New Yorker option and 1 of us chose the Eloise Tea option.

New Yorker


The New Yorker included the following savouries:
Cucumber, radish with green herbs finger sandwich

Smoked salmon and endive finger sandwich

Roquefort, shaved red grapes and watercress savoury

Prosciutto, mozzarella with pesto on a toasted biscuit base

Roast beef with horseradish mini roll

Scones were served with double cream and blueberry preserve

The sweets were:
Black and white cookies
Mini canolli
Chocolate cupcake
New York cheesecake
Lemon tea cake
Profiteroles


The Eloise Tea range included:
Grilled cheese sandwich, Cucumber buttered bread, Organic peanut butter and jelly sandwich, Strawberry and cream cheese sandwich.
Scones with double cream and blueberry preserve
Cookies, chocolate cupcakes, Pink Pink jellos, Eloise shortbread cookies and Chocolate dipped strawberries.


Some of us had a Bellini instead of the Champagne and we all had a pot of tea with our afternoon tea. Generally we enjoyed our afternoon tea. The food was generally good but in my opinion the sweets stood out more than the savouries. In the savouries, the surprise and a delightful one at that was the Roquefort, shaved red grapes with watercress. The burst of blue cheese flavour was delightfully delicious! I loved every sweet I had so I honestly can't say which stood out as they were all good.

There is only one negative comment that I have to make. It took about 50 minutes for us to be served with the food and we were all quite hungry by then. The restaurant was only 3/4 full so we couldn't understand why it took the kitchen so long to prepare everything for 7 people. But having said that, the wait did not detract our lovely afternoon of female bonding and just having a fun relaxing afternoon soaking up the vibe at The Plaza.
A very scrumptious chocolate from the Eloise Tea sweets
As an added bonus, my travel mate NC saw Ben Affleck walk past the restaurant and we all turned around as soon as she alerted us. He looked good and was so much more attractive in person. He still had a full beard and K tried to take a picture of him with her phone and managed to get quite a distant one with his side profile caught. Yay!

We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and would not have had it any other way. Thank you to the other ladies for joining me. I had a great time!

Palm Court at the Plaza Hotel on Urbanspoon

Palm Court at The Plaza Hotel
W 59th Street & 5th Ave
New York
Website: fairmont.com/the-plaza-new-york/dining/afternoontea

2 comments:

Edwina said...

Looks simply gorgeous Cindy. Definitely on my to do list!

nycstylelittlecannoli said...

Always fun to do anything in The Plaza Hotel and the Afternoon Tea is really a lot of fun. I believe we had quite a wait to as I attended during the Christmas season. Guess it is just the allure of The Plaza! I would go again in a heartbeat!!

Rosemary