About Me

Food is one of my many joys in life. It is a common bond I share among my friends and family. Combining food and travel makes it all the more interesting. I enjoy going out for a good meal with friends and family. The array of various cuisines and our fantastic array of produce really makes Sydney such a great city to live in. Blogging is my hobby and my posts on restaurant meals I have had are paid for and not gratis. Any gratis provided to me will always be stated beforehand.

Saturday 15 June 2013

Chat Thai Westfield Sydney

For some reason, I have not had the chance to check out this very popular Thai restaurant. It may be due to the fact that Sydney has such an abundance of restaurants and cafes. I struggle to keep up with the new openings and then have to decide which ones to check out and when.

We recently had a farewell lunch organised for an ex-colleague. As my office is located near enough to Westfield Sydney, a group of us decided to have it at Chat Thai. When I sheepishly admitted that I had not dined there yet, I did cop a bit of flak from my colleagues!

We found out that they didn't take group bookings for lunch but my colleague YY managed to garner a booking. However it was on the condition that the group only arrived at 1.15pm and we had to place all our orders in the morning to allow the cooks enough time to cook the food at the right time without us having to wait a long time once we arrived. That was a very reasonable request and one I am glad we did, considering the number of us attending.

There were 18 of us at the table so it was very difficult to take photos of all the dishes but I think I took enough to get a good feel of the variety of dishes that you can get at Chat Thai. Only a few had an entree, everyone had a main and a few had desserts.

Fresh spring rolls (Entree) - fresh spring rolls of smoked fish sausages, chicken and crab, with caramelised tamarind relish.

Nahm Dtok Nuea (Spicy Char Grilled Beef Salad) - TJ said it was delicious!

Khao Na Bped - Roasted duck with ginger and duck gravy, served with rice.

Som Dtum Thai - Green papaya salad with peanuts and dried shrimp. It had the spicy, salty and slightly sweet flavours. TH asked for very spicy and boy did she get it spicy as! But she throughly enjoyed it.

Paak Boohng Dtai Laow - Fried school prawns and angel hair rice noodles

Mhu Grob Padt Prik Khing - Stir fried crisp pork belly and wild ginger in red curry paste. I among many ordered this dish. I was very surprised at how much pork belly there was. It was deliciously crispy but I did struggle to finish it.

Padt Thai - Stir fried thin rice noodles with chicken, dried shrimps, bean sprouts, garlic and chives in a tamarind and palm sugar sauce.

Gai Yaang - Char grilled turmeric and lemongrass marinated chicken with smoked chilli and tamarind relish. MA seemed to be enjoying her dish.

The desserts I managed to get photos of were:

Tup Tim Grob - Tapioca coated water chestnuts in a fragrant syrup with fresh coconut milk and young coconut flesh.

Khao Nieaw Sangkaya - Sweet coconut milk infused sticky rice and coconut custard

In summary, I would say that the Chat Thai team coped very well with our very large group. They were friendly to all of us and managed to keep the dishes coming. Bearing in mind this was a rather large group during a peak Friday lunch crowd.

Chat Thai Westfield Sydney on Urbanspoon

Chat Thai Westfield
Shop 6002, Level 6
188 Pitt Street
Sydney
Website: chatthai.com.au

2 comments:

Annie said...

i love how Chat Thai has so many unique Thai dishes that you won't find at most Thai restaurants. they all look very delicious :)

Cindy said...

Thanks for your comment Annie! They were delicious! :-)