About Me

Food is one of my many joys in life. It is a common bond I share among my friends and family. Combining food and travel makes it all the more interesting. I enjoy going out for a good meal with friends and family. The array of various cuisines and our fantastic array of produce really makes Sydney such a great city to live in. Blogging is my hobby and my posts on restaurant meals I have had are paid for and not gratis. Any gratis provided to me will always be stated beforehand.

Wednesday 6 June 2012

Morning Tea at Nonna's

Pietro Porcu's hometown is Dolianova and we were privileged to be invited to visit his mother and sisters at their family home. It is about 40 minutes north east of Cagliari.

Nonna (Maria Porcu) is such a delightful and gracious lady. She worked tirelessly for the past week making all the delicious biscuits and jams that was served to us.

Pietro and his mother Maria (Nonna)
I know I can rave about great food but I cannot tell you how wonderfully good Nonna's creations were. Everything I tried was 'so good'. Her amaretto biscuits were absolutely divine. I could not stop eating them. They were so light, just delightful!

Amaretto & Gavorino

Tilicas - filled with grape must cooked in vincotto

Tilicas - filled with honey and semolina almond meal

Ciambelline - my 2nd favourite biscuit after the amaretto

Pistocheddus

One of my fellow travellers, Brian, asked me to try her marmalade. I was initially very reluctant as I am not keen on marmalade. But I thought 'I should try it' since Brian was extolling its' virtues to me. I mean 'how good can marmalade be?' My goodness! I was totally converted..the marmalade was the best I had ever tasted. Sorry, I don't know what her secret ingredient is but I suspect that it is 'love'. Nonna cooks with her heart and you can taste it in her food.

The 'Marmalade'

She has this rustic and traditional outdoor kitchen which she uses constantly. We decided to take a group photo in this setting. Maeve has given me permission to publish it, so here we are (all looking very happy).

The group with the Porcu clan!

Nonna, you are one of a kind and we are so blessed to have met you and your daughters, Paola and Anna Maria! Thank you for your generosity and hospitality.

2 comments:

Edwina said...

Lovely to see your whole group! The morning tea sounds divine!!

Anonymous said...

The biscuits look so pretty and tasty!!!